Friday, September 14, 2007

Spencer coming to the table empty-headed.

Gil Spencer was so desperate to do one of his infamous hatchet pieces on David Landau, that he didn't even give the candidate a change to respond. Landau was celebrating the Jewish holidays and unavailable for a quote. Spencer wouldn't even give the staff at Landau headquarters the opportunity to challenge any Gil's typical false assertions.

I can only hope that the Delco Times will give Landau an equal opportunity to respond.

In the meantime... I'll take a swing or two at Gil (with my blogger-bat).

Landau has correctly pointed out how Delco, presided over by 30 years of GOP Council monopoly, is similar to "Bush-style" government.

Gil, starts off with confusing Bush in Texas-style government (with VERY weak governor powers) to Bush as President and subsequent power grabs. Later, Gil fails to make his point by saying that "millions" of Democrats hold Federal jobs, but then he ignores the fact that Bush cronies hold the key Federal positions and that Bush had solid GOP majority in Congress and the Courts for six years. Then, Gil just gets silly by asking if Delco has invaded another county.
What a wit! (Note to self: replace "w" with "sh")

Gil was so wrapped up in his own imaginary cleverness, that he didn't realize he was making Landau's point. Look at how much the Bush administration has biased the government with partisan politics and personnel in only 6 years. The Delco GOP has controlled council without ANY Democrat for 30 years (they even changed the Charter to deny a guarantee of minority party representation).

The county courthouse is filled with GOP patrons, lackeys and cronies who are then expected to contribute to the party and/or buy tickets to events when "asked" (translation: told). Stories of abuse are common, but so is fear of reprisal and the unlikelihood of GOP prosecutors or judges taking action.

Gil makes the following accusation: As head of the Democratic Party in Nether Providence, Landau helped engineer his wife's nomination and election to a plum district judge position. Gil, how did Landau "help engineer" an election?

Speaking of wives and hypocrisy, can anyone tell me what's ironic in this context about a certain Republican Communications Coordinator?

Gil then goes after the Democrats' plan for a County Health Department. He parrots the GOP talking points about costs, and then dismisses the benefits as not worth it for improving county health. From yesterday's Delco Times: Delaware County has one [state health center], though it only has four employees there, responsible for all 550,000 county residents.

Sound's like Gil's health care is taken care of, so screw everybody else. The Democrats ARE looking out for everybody else.

Gil also claims a health department would create "dozens of new patronage hires", but seems to have forgotten John Innelli's statement (from the previous day's Delco Times): "consolidation of many of the other county offices (into the department) may in fact result in savings, cost savings" to county government. Sounds like Gil is more worried that the GOP may lose a few patronage jobs in the deal.

Open Space: Andy Reilly is on his way out. So, still a good Democratic issue.

Jobs: Trimming the fat and lowering the budget will allow for tax cuts. Infrastructure improvements and revitalization projects will also bring in new business. Better education and job training programs will help Delco residents qualify for better paying jobs. Switching no-bid work from out-of-county businesses to local businesses will not only help those businesses but keep more money from draining out of the region.

If Reilly does manage to open the dog park, I suggest that someone put a leash on Gil and take him for a walk. Maybe he can find somewhere else to urinate besides the editorial pages of the Delco Times.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

DD --

You HAVE to get over your creepy obsession with Gil....

David Diano said...

DelcoGOP2008-
Odd topic for you to post in, with all the other juicy tidbits around. I know you visit the site a few times a day.

I understand it if you feel unable to defend The Three Stooges or the current GOP council. A lot of Republicans voted for change in the May primary, and aren't happy with who got picked to misrepresent their party in November.

I think this is the first PADelcoWatch topic where I went after that gasbag, Spencer. I can hardly let such an unbalanced hatchet piece go unanswered (especially when he denied the Landau campaign the opportunity to respond).

On his Spencerblog, I deal mostly with national issues like the war, global warming, etc. His supporters on that site are a collection of racists, bigots and reactionaries that really demonstrate where Gil's appeal can be found. Some of them are so stupid that I almost wonder if one of them might be a friend of mine trying to prank me by saying the opposite of what he believes.

So, have you given up yet on your plan you run against Sestak in 2008?

I notice that no one has announced against Joe yet. My take on it: The GOP is very nervous about the County Council race. They want to wait for the November results to see how far Democratic the county has shifted before selecting a lamb for the Sestak slaughter.

Franny Ward said...

David, you misspelled "Delaware County" in your labels.. Hey, you want to join our blog?

David Diano said...

Franny-
That misspelling was to pick up search engine hits from bad typists (like me). :-)

Thanks for the eagle eye.

I don't think I have time for another blog. Between dealing with the this blog, the idiots/bigots on Spencer's blog, and the behind the scenes work I do for the party, I'm pretty overextended. (I really do need my 4 hours of sleep.)

Besides, I've got more work to do on this site with some graphics and capturing mindshare.

I do appreciate the invitation and I may take you up on it if I can find the time.

I would be happy to have reciprocal links to each others sites.

Seventh Watch said...

Spencer says:
"The political patronage system has been in place in this country since about 1789. It has its flaws. But in the end, either the local government gets basic services delivered or it doesn’t. And if it doesn’t, the bums can be voted out."

If people are willing to accept patronage, then they deserve it. Why would they ever be inclined to do that, when it's completely against their own self-interest? Power and intimidation.

I'm not willing to accept it. So I'll keep working against it. Others accept it and cave to the intimidation.

In a democracy, people get the government they deserve. -Adlai Stevenson

We deserve better!

Voting the bums out is exactly what I'm working for.

David Diano said...

Seventh Watch-
Maybe one reason that Gil "The Shill" Spencer is so ready to accept patronage is that he (or someone close to him) is a beneficiary of the patronage.

Gil carried a lot water (or was it Kool-Aid?) for Weldon and attacked Sestak. Now he's going after not only Candidate's like Landau, but in today's Delco Times he even went after Bruce Bikin (who isn't even running for dog catcher).

I'm thinking of starting a "Gill the Shill Contest" to see if he is a hypocrite about patronage. Readers could do a little digging and post if they found something interesting.

Does he get any perks like Free Golf Outings or fancy dinners while "interviewing" GOP "sources"? Did he get a buddy a job or move up a case on the court docket? Gil writes editorials and not real news, so I don't think that he thinks he needs to disclose any potential bias (maybe because he is already biased).

whynotus said...

I do no really know much about Bikin, but I think he is splitting hairs if he thinks that his lawfirm getting paid $90K for work is not fair game here--he is a Democrat, contributor, friend, party leader, etc. That being said, it is completely inconsequential. MMWR is a big Democatic and Republican firm, that gets lots of work form the insurance industry (of whihc I think a few heavy hitter Rs in this COunty are intimately involved). Also, I do not see any allegation that it was a no-show job. I ma sure that MMWR did the work they were paid for, and agve NP good favlue for its money. I mean its not like they were paid almost $90K per year for being party bo--I mean an appointed county government official. I do believe that Bikin's engaging that Spencer clown only gives the story another news cycle...a short response acknowledging the work was doen, denying it was for any political reason, etc. would have been more than sufficient and would have ended it.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-
This is going to blow up in Spencer's face.

I don't want to steal the thunder of the Landau campaign when they expose the details of what the work was for.

However, I will throw out this tidbit: Landau had the best/reduced price and expertise for the particular work (and a GOP lawyer wasn't as likely to go after a GOP defendant on behalf of Nether).

As for Bikin, I offered him the chance to print his FULL letter to Spencer, rather than have us rely upon Gil's cherry-pickings. However, the upcoming Landau response will probably cover Gil's behavior on both articles.

Gil better stop by the pharmacy for some medicine, because some truth might cause an allergic reaction. :-)

whynotus said...

DD--

I wait for more or Landau's never ending, self-serving, self-promoting BS with baited breath.
As for Spencer being allergic to the truth, reading his writings over the years leads me to the inescapable conclusion that he has been inoculated and/or is otherwise immune. He has been exposed so many times as a lackey for the GOP that he will continue to spin his BS without flinching and with a vengeance.
Anyway, keep up the good work.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-

I'll try to filter out the self-serving BS part of the campaign response. :-)

(and get to the heart of Gil's self-serving BS)

As for Gil's truth-immunity, could it be the result of some form of brain damage? Maybe due to lack of oxygen from having his head up his ass?

Evan said...

I enjoyed the part where Gil said "I never heard of Bicken until I wrote about him."

Give Gil credit though, he was dead on in supporting Curt last week.

David Diano said...

evan-
It may surprise you that I was actually in agreement that Curt stepped up to help his son. I was going to write something about it, but I felt that the story had already gotten more coverage than the family wanted, it wasn't political issue, and some would doubt my genuine sincerity wishing the family well on this issue. (Because, I still think Curt is going to pay a price for his political dealings.)

I'd adjust Gil's statement to "I never heard of Bikin until the GOP machine told me to write about him". :-)

Franny Ward said...

David Said: I don't think I have time for another blog. Between dealing with the this blog, the idiots/bigots on Spencer's blog, and the behind the scenes work I do for the party, I'm pretty overextended. (I really do need my 4 hours of sleep.)

Besides, I've got more work to do on this site with some graphics and capturing mindshare.

I do appreciate the invitation and I may take you up on it if I can find the time.

I would be happy to have reciprocal links to each others sites.


David, I will gladly do a link exchange for you and also send you, Pat, hell even Spencer (I have done this many times with no reply) and everyone else who is interested in joining an invite that produces a valid e-mail.

Just click on my profile and e mail me with a request. Our blog averages over 7000 uniques a month, many from local internet providers. This will allow more people from Delco to see what various canidates stand for and maybe entice them to get out and vote.

Cheers.

whynotus said...

DD--

Is Ann O'Keefe running for this ofifce? I only ever see or hear about Landau and his self-promoting to the exclusion of others BS, and Innelli. If the Ds have any chance ot win, it takes 3, not the lone wolf or the pair. I saw an article today in CHESCO where Rendell only mentioned picking up Bucks, Montco and Chesco courthouses--looks like eve he knows there are problems wiht the D ticket in DELCO.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-
Yes, Ann O'Keefe and John Innelli are both part of the Democratic ticket with David Landau.

Landau is being aggressive and making the most noise, but the press isn't covering the others very well either. My understanding is that O'Keefe was with Landau for today's press announcement and the Innelli was side-by-side at the previous press conference.

My goal with this blog is to give voice to all the candidates. But, credit where credit is due, the Landau team acquired the man-power to spend months fighting the GOP court house to get documents about the staffing and then make comparisons to the campaign finance reports.

If you feel "The lone-wolf" is dominating, then donate more money/time to the O'Keefe and Innelli campaigns.

As for Rendell, he got like 60% in Delco but hardly had to campaign here. I think he "forgets" us sometimes. Maybe if Rendell injected a few hundred thousand from his campaign coffers into the Delco Dems, he might increase the odds for the entire Dem ticket. (I'd be happy to get his cheese-steak budget.)

whynotus said...

You seem to assume that I am considering or have alrady injected money into the campaigns. Not necessarily a safe assumption.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-
By "more", I didn't mean "more than you already have" just "more than John and Ann already received".

I was just pointing out ways to level the playing field (if you are so inclined). Also, you can give of your "time" as well, knocking on doors and raising campaign issues.

A good reason to "consider" donating to the Dems ticket is better government. :-)

whynotus said...

David:

You also seem to assume that I care about who wins the race. I ma so tired of reading about the race at this point that I might just do nothing, for either ticket.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-

I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that anyone reading, and especially posting, to this site was interested in the races. Silly me. :-)

However, if you just happen to find yourself in a voting booth on Nov. 6th, voting the straight Dem ticket would be a good option.

whynotus said...

David:

I read because it amuses me to see what you and your friends and enemies have to say. I post because I have something to say and did not realize you were imposing a litmus test on posters. Anyway, I will most assuredly vote (I always do), and I will probably vote for Innelli, O'Keefe and Landau because I do not believe Charlie's guy, Reilly's girl and Daddy's little boy are right for the County to move forward, but that does not necessarily mean I will lose sleep over it, invest money in it, or expend more time then it takes to vote.

David Diano said...

WhyNotUs-

Glad you are enjoying the repartee.

Not a litmus test, just an assumption. Keep on posting.

I've concentrated on the County Council race, but I do plan on touching upon the Court of Common Pleas race as well. Judges tend to be a little less interesting and partisan and can't tell you "what they will do" so they don't sound biased. They also don't blast their opponents. Booorrrinnnggg. Let's see if we can make it a bit more interesting. :-)